Castle Green Hotel opened in December 1997 but the building itself dates back to 1847, when Thompson Bindloss, a Kendal Ironmonger bought the site for £3450. He built the house which today forms the Business and Training Centre and the executive bedrooms. He left the house to his nephew, William Bindloss, who was Kendal’s Mayor six times. When William died, he donated the house to the Borough of Kendal in his will in 1895. The house was sold and the proceeds were used to extend the Town Hall and to build the clock tower, which is a feature of Kendal today.
Between 1949 and 1995 the house was owned the by Electricity Board as their area offices and around 300 local people worked in the building. James and Catherine Alexander, previously owners of the Grange Hotel in Grange-over-Sands, bought the property in 1995 and had the vision to convert and extend it into a perfect hotel for Kendal.
Our gardens are very important to us. We know many of guests love to stroll through the grounds, check out the plants or simply to find the closest bench to sit on! The Hotel enjoys Gold Status in the Green Tourism Business Scheme so you can be assured of our commitment to keeping everything as green as we can. Our Inspector on his last visit commented that we “had an outstanding commitment to local suppliers particularly with food and drink. Also strong was good monitoring and training for staff to help improve environmental performance, good recycling practices and active support for local good cause.”